Special Tie Awards for Quins 1st XV players with over 100 appearances
200 + APPEARANCES
His 200+ appearances tie was presented to Ieuan on Monday, 16th August 2017 by Mr Roger Ayers, Club Vice-Chairman.
- Ieuan started playing rugby at 17 years of age and played his early rugby with the Carmarthen Athletic Club. He carried on playing for them until he was conscripted to the Army at 19 years of age where he did his 18 months national service.
- Ieuan joined the Quins on his discharge from the Army and played regularly for the 1st XV from 1950 to 1957.
- He played prop forward, lock or number 8.
- Ieuan played in both the first game and the replay against Crynant in the final of the West Wales Cup Competition in 1955/56 when the Quins won the cup for the first time in the club’s history.
- He made a number of appearances for the Carmarthenshire County XV.
- We do not have any records to show exactly how many games Ieuan played for the Quins. However, with some 40+ games each season and having played 7 seasons for the Quins 1st XV, we can be fairly certain that Ieuan played well in excess of 200 games.
- Ieuan moved back to the Athletic Club in 1957 joining up with several other ex-Quins players who had followed the same path. He also turned out for the Welsh Civil Service Rugby Football XV. Ieuan hung up his boots with the Athletic Club in 1965 at 36 years of age.
- He was a crucial member of the Mentors for my Quins Dream Team project held in 2012 and he played an important part in the selection of the Quins Dream Team, especially with his knowledge of the players who played between 1950 and 1960.
Presentation photograph taken by Steve Jenkins