A Step Back in Time Report 1978/79 v Felinfoel



(By Percy Jones)

SEASON 1978 -79

With Richard Ratti having taken over the captaincy from David Woodhead, hopes were high for a continued improvement in the Quins’ fortunes. However, it turned out to be a mixed bag of results. They played 18 league games winning seven, drawing two with 9 losses. Their poor run in both cup competition continued with early exists in both the Welsh and West Wales Cup Competitions. This had been the best decade for the Quins in the District G Sevens Competition but sadly they exited this year in the second round to Felinfoel having beaten Bynea 18-4 in the first round.

Quins critics silenced

Carmarthen 23pts;      Felinfoel 10pts

(By kind permission of the Carmarthen Journal) 

Having drawn the match at Felinfoel two weeks ago Carmarthen more than made up for that dropped point by delighting their supporters in completely outclassing the Foel side. After a lean period on the field, the side silenced their critics with a team display equalling their early season form.

The Quins pack soon settled down and displayed an eagerness that of late has been missing. Howard Iles played his part in the middle of the front row and Kevin Bowen and Huw Jones used their ball winning talents in both tight and open play. With six forwards over 6 ft. the lineout control was as acting skipper Chris Roberts   liked so he could use his backs with greater purpose.

After 20 minutes Mike Owens was on target with a penalty. Three minutes later the forwards took play into the Foel half and a quick heel saw Roberts bring in his threes. Centre Geraint Griffiths made ground down the right and as the cover defence hemmed him in he chipped ahead and won the race for the touch down. The kick failed.

The Foel side defended stubbornly and from a break down by the Quins backs the visitors kicked through and Dai Callighan was on hand to score. Kevin Thomas put his side to within a point of the Quins score with a good conversion kick.


The sides changed ends with the game finely balanced and there was no hint of what was to follow. After the first four minutes Mike Owens sent the Foel back row the wrong way and he cleverly beat the midfield defence to score a fine opportunist try. The kick failed.

Mike Owens had to leave the field and this spurred the home side on. Play was taken to near the Foel line and Chris Roberts broke through three would be tacklers to score under the posts. .Howard Iles added the extra pints. The Quins were playing confidently with back row Dai Woodhead and Wayne Eldred linking up with their backs and testing the visitors defence to the full.

Peter Jenkins was dangerous with his probing runs down the left and was a threat whenever in possession. He duly obliged after 31 minutes with a burst down the wing when he evaded the cover defence to score. Howard Iles was again on target.

With the match apparently safe the home side relaxed and to the credit of the Foel side they opened play at all times and they were rewarded when Dai Callighan crossed wide out for his second try.

The game ended with the Quins worthy winners and their encouraging performance augurs well for their promotion run in. Chris Roberts, Keith Evans and Geraint Griffiths were outstanding backs and Wayne Eldred, Huw Jones and Kevin Bowen were strong forwards.  This win keeps them in the top and if this confident approach is maintained they could earn a Section A place next season