A Step Back in Time Report 1977/78 v Ammanford


(By Percy Jones)

SEASON 1977 -78

This was the season when the Quins needed to turn things around and indeed their results in the league and in friendly matches was much improved. David Woodhead had taken over the captaincy and his style of leadership seemed to have had quite an impact. The team had a good early run of wins in the league going until early November before Morriston took their scalp at Morriston by 9pts -7pts. They played a total of 33 matches this season, winning 24 and losing 9.

The club’s poor run in both cup competitions continued into this season. They lost their first welsh Cup match at home to Burry Port by 6pts – 3pts.The following week saw the Quins beating Kidwelly at home by 11pts – 7pts in a preliminary round of the West Wales Cup with Michael Langdon bagging two tries. Six months later they were back in action in the First Round of the West Wales Cup when they beat Crynant at home by 10 pts to nil. Again Michael Langdon got the only try of the game. Their success was not to last. They lost in the second round again at home to Burry Port by 13 pts -7pts.  

The District ‘G’ Sevens were held at Carmarthen Park and it was the Quins squad who came away with the honours. They beat New Dock Stars by 12 pts to 10 pts in the first round; Furnace by 20 pts to 4 pts in the Quarter-final; Kidwelly 14 pts to 6 pts in the Semi-final and kept a clean sheet against Laugharne in the final winning by 26 pts to nil. The Sevens Squad were:- Martin Stevens; David Evans; Richard Ratti; Michael Langdon; Michael Owens; Chris Roberts; Bleddyn Griffiths; Graham Walters.

Five tries for Langdon 

15th October 1977

Carmarthen Quins 56 pts;   Ammanford 10 pts

By kind permission of the Carmarthen Journal

The Quins were expected to win this game, but what was exceptionally pleasing was the way in which they did. The forwards, on this occasion, played for eighty minutes and the second half performance was in complete contrast to the display during the same  period against Llangennech.  Ammanford, bravely though they played, were no match for the home side. The Quins forwards provided an excellent supply of ball and half backs Colin Davies and Peter Evans varied their play intelligently to confuse the opposition.


Their threequarters handled smoothly and the potential of two outstanding wings in Mike Langdon and Mike Owens is now being fully realised. Roger Evans and Graham Walters in the centre played their parts to the full, and Graham proved once again that he is almost unstoppable from fifteen yards out. At full back, Bleddyn Griffiths had his best game of the season and was a constant source of worry to the Ammanford defence.

The rugby played by Carmarthen was a sheer joy and at times, the forwards summoned up enough energy to join in the running and that, after committing themselves fully in the set pieces. Howard Iles and Kevin Bowen again proved what fine props they are and Dai Woodhead led his pack by wonderful example. Peter Elsom gained clean line out possession and whereas it is possibly unfair to name any of the pack, these along with Dai Evans (hooker) deserve mention.


Ammanford contributed towards this fine exhibition of rugby but only for very brief periods. They did manage a converted try and a penalty, but it was their sportsmanship that impressed most.

For Carmarthen, tries were scored by Mike Langdon (5), Mike Owens (2), Graham Walters (2), Peter Evans (2) while Howard Iles converted five and Bleddyn Griffiths one. The Ammanford scorers were Arwel Rees (try) and Glanedd Davies (try and conversion).

The Quins have now scored 141 points in five league games and are 44 points clear of their nearest rivals Llandovery for the Eurof  Davies cup.