A Step Back in Time Report 1959/60 v Cwmllynfell


(By Percy Jones) 

 SEASON 1959/60


Saturday 13th February 1960 

Carmarthen R.F.C. 3 pts;  Cwmllynfell, 6

(By kind permission of the Carmarthen Journal)


Carmarthen has certainly failed to get their share of luck this season. Their home clash with Cwmllynfell at Carmarthen Park was no exception for once again it was a last minute try which gave their opponents the vital points.

It was a vastly improved Carmarthen side that faced Cwmllynfell who are well up in the West Wales League table. Carmarthen showed a welcome return to form and a draw would have been a fairer result.

It was a ding-dong tussle right through and when Carmarthen changed ends with a three point lead, they were well on top, especially at forward. But Carmarthen slowed down a little in the second half and that proved their undoing. When Cwmllynfell equalised with an unconverted try Carmarthen’s defence tightened up and it came as a shock to the handful of home supporters when Cwmllynfell snatched their victory with seconds to spare.

Cwmllynfell had a faster and more dangerous set of threes and their attack was spearheaded by 24 year-old outside-half Gareth Thomas, one of the outstanding players on the field. Their hooker Francis Price had the edge over his opposite number and the visitors were getting the ball out of the scrum more often than Carmarthen.

It was in the loose that the Carmarthen pack excelled and they threatened the Cwmllynfell line on numerous occasions with some fine rushes. Pick of the home eight were Joe Davies and lock-forward Alec Richards, whilst full-back Peter Jenkins impressed with some invaluable touch-kicking.

Within minutes Cwmllynfell had brought play well inside the Carmarthen “25” and after a scrum infringement, were awarded a penalty kick from 30 yards out but the attempt by Gareth Thomas was sliced. Cwmllynfell were repeatedly getting the ball back to their three-quarter line but the Carmarthen forwards came more into the picture and some dangerous pressure on the visitor’s line was relieved when Gareth Thomas put the ball into touch over the half-way line. Peter Jenkins just missed the upright when he took Carmarthen’s first penalty award and the home side were now having the better of the exchanges, particularly at forward and a series of onslaughts kept play well inside Cwmllynfell territory.


Carmarthen deservedly took the lead when Peter Jenkins made no mistake with a fine penalty goal from 50 yards out, although Cwmllynfell were unlucky not to draw level soon afterwards when Gareth Thomas just failed to kick a penalty goal. Carmarthen maintained their lead and kept up a series of spirited attacks which had the Cwmllynfell defence working overtime.

There were some good  passing bouts by both sides in the second half and Cwmllynfell pressed hard in an endeavour to wipe out the deficit. Carmarthen were forced back inside their own half but good scoring chances for Cwmllynfell were missed because of some inaccurate passing. Carmarthen forwards were still playing better in the loose but had slowed down a little and Cwmllynfell had their backs going time and time again.

After some sustained pressure, D. Thomas on the right wing went over for an unconverted try to bring the teams on level terms. It looked as if the match was certain to end in a draw, but almost on the final whistle left-winger Roy Evans snatched up the ball after a cross-kick by Gareth Thomas and tore through to touch down in the corner to give Cwmllynfell a last minute victory.