A Step Back in Time Report 1951/52 v Llanelly


(By Percy Jones) 

SEASON 1951 – 52 

This was a fairly successful season for the Quins first XV under the captaincy of Reg Jones. The team played a total of 41 matches, winning 21, losing 16 with 4 drawn. Points for were 292 with 156 against. The fixtures they fulfilled in the first and last few weeks of the season is quite impressive as can be seen in the following 1951-52 fixture list:-

Sept 1st  – Pontardawe                    Home

        8    – Brynamman                   Away

      13    – Pontardulais                   Home

      15    – Penygraig                       Away

      22    – Kenfig Hill                     Home

      27    – Llanelly                          Home

      29    – Briton Ferry                   Away

Oct  6    – Trinity College               Home

      13    – Briton Ferry                   Home

      20    – Felinfoel                         Away

      27    – Kidwelly                        Away

Nov 3    – Pontyberem                    Away

      10    – Mountain Ash                Home

      17    – Pembroke                       Away

      24   – New Dock Stars              Home

Dec 1    – Ammanford                    Away

       8    – Swansea Uplands            Home

     15    – Pembroke                        Home

     22    – Felinfoel                          Home

     25    – Old Maridunians             Home

     26    – Brynamman                    Home

     29    – Loughor                          Away

Jan  5    – Ammanford                    Home

     12    – Skewen                           Away

     19    – Wales/England               Away

     26    – 1st Round WWRU Cup

Feb 2    – Wales/Scotland               Home

       9    – Pontyberem                    Home

     15    – Tumble                           Away

     22    – Trinity College               Away

Mar 1   – New Dock Stars             Away

       8    – Aberystwyth College     Away

      15   – Swansea Uplands           Away

      22   – Blaenavon                      Away

      29   – Loughor                         Home

Apr  5   – Tumble                          Home

      12   – Pontardawe                    Away

      14   – Penygraig                       Home

      15   – Skewen                          Home

     19   – Blaenavon                       Home

     24   – Pontardulais                    Away

     26   – Kenfig Hill                      Away

            – Kidwelly                         Home

            – Aberystwyth College      Home       

Sporting Diary by “Cardinal.”

(By kind permission of the Carmarthen Journal)

“Match of the season”

Thursday 27th September 1951- 5.30pm


Next Thursday Carmarthen RFC will meet Llanelly after a long period. It will be remembered by rugby followers that Carmarthen defeated Llanelly in their previous encounter and as it were snapped their fingers at would be critics. For this game, the visitors have promised that they will have their full team in attendance. Not only that, Lewis Jones, the “Welsh wonder boy” Welsh International and member of the British touring team will be playing.


The game promises well and although some people foresee a crumbling Carmarthen defence, I think the game will develop into a stiff and hard struggle for mastery. One must not forget the narrow win Llanelly had over their “nursery” club Felinfoel and the fact that when Carmarthen beat them the last time, Llanelly had during the season a strong and formidable team studded with many internationals. This encounter promises a feast of rugby at its best and I have no doubt that Carmarthen will rise to the occasion.


Carmarthen,  3 pts;      Llanelly,  13 pts.

Although Carmarthen lost to Llanelly by one try (3 pts) to two converted goals and one try (13 pts), it can be said that they went down fighting. In the last encounter four years ago Carmarthen won and Llanelly have avenged this previous defeat. The visitors by no means had an easy task but nevertheless they fully deserved to win. Their backs were superior to the home team and on many occasions the Carmarthen defence was ripped wide open by the penetrating tactics of the faster moving Llanelly “threes.” This does not mean that the home threequarters did not make gallant attempts. Their defence was do or die, but their attack was too slow to develop into anything dangerous to the Llanelly line. High praise is due to the home eight for their brave fight against a heavier and more experienced pack. Their terrier like rushes made the Llanelly forwards waver on several occasions and always to the fore was Ewan Thomas (wing-forward) who worked hard and displayed great keenness for harassing tactics. Two other hardworking forwards were I. Jenkins and W. Hodge.


Man of the match for Carmarthen was Leonard Davies (full-back) who did some stout defending and many times found brilliant touches to keep Llanelly at bay. Performing well for Llanelly was Wyn Evans (scrum-half) who gave excellent service from the base of the scrum to set the backs moving. It was unfortunate for the visitors to lose Mel Griffiths (right wing) towards the close with an ankle injury.




Carmarthen at the beginning put up quite a heavy attack on the Llanelly line and for the first few moments kept play in the visitors’ 25. The visitors retaliated and there ensued a first class struggle for mastery. A few rushes by the home side saw the development of a movement on the blind side. Glan Tucker (left wing) punted ahead and Malcolm John, the visiting full-back, failed to gather an awkward rolling ball. Tucker  managed to get his foot to the ball and dribble over to score. The attempt at conversion failed. Llanelly worked hard after this reverse and within a few moments had their reward when Peter stone (forward) broke away from a line-out and crashed his way through to score in the corner. Malcolm John converted from a difficult angle.


There developed a grim fight after this with Carmarthen being forced on the defensive and making a very good job of these tactics. There were some scintillating moves by the visiting threequarters. From one of these, Geoff Tucker (centre-threequarter) made a beautiful break through and ran 30 yards for a try, which Malcolm John converted. The home side had to put up a desperate defence and were forced to minor more than once. The visitors got their final try from a scrum five yards from the Carmarthen line, the Llanelly pack heeled and Les Phillips (outside –half) gaining possession, dived over for the touch down. Malcolm John failed with the kick.