A Step Back in Time Report 1970/71 v Ammanford



(By Percy Jones)

 SEASON 1970/71

Under the captaincy of flanker Gwilym Beynon this was a rather mixed season for the Quins, who played 25 games winning 12; losing 10 with 3 drawn. Their best performance had to be an away win against Pontardulais who they beat by 15pts to 8. There is no doubt that the Quins had the best pair of wingers playing in the West Wales League at that time in Spencer Jones and David Dyer. At the end of the season they had between them scored 38 tries with Jones bagging 25 and Dyer 13. I had the pleasure of playing centre alongside this flying duo and the Quins at that time probably had the most outstanding scrum-half in Peter “Dock” Evans.

The club got through the first round of the West Wales Cup by winning a replay way at Llangennech having drawn 9pts -9 at home the previous week. They came up against a formidable Tumble side in the second round and drew 3pts -3 at home. They lost the away replay by 3pts to nil. 

Saturday 31st October 1970 at Carmarthen Park 

By Roger Phillips 

Carmarthen R.F.C. 22 pts; Ammanford, nil

(By permission of the Carmarthen Journal)

Carmarthen waltzed to their first home win of the season against lowly Ammanford on Saturday. After a stirring first-half packed with fluent and intelligent attacking rugby they only managed one try in the second session but missed almost five times as many.

Despite a greasy ball and slippery conditions underfoot the Quins handled well and used high kicks to create havoc in an Ammanford defence which wilted long before the end. Ammanford full-back Roy Anthony had a nightmare afternoon. His touch kicking was atrocious and the number of times he was caught in possession left visiting supporters breathless.

At forward the Quins’ powerful pack won the lion’s share of good possession. Jeff Williams and John Evans were a strong force in the lines-out, while the back-row of Dai Thomas, Roger Walters and skipper Gwilym Beynon destroyed Ammanford’s attacks with crushing first-time tackles.


At the front, the Quins have yet to find a regular hooker. Stand-in Del Davies held his own despite lack of experience, but unless a specialist is found soon they could be in big trouble when they meet some of the stronger league sides. In the loose, they showed a marked improvement. Good hard rucking kept the ball coming back quickly for scrum-half Peter Evans to set the backs moving. Evans had a fine game. He caught his opposite number, Tony Rees napping on several occasions before the Ammanford scrum-half could get the ball away and his pin-point kicks were particularly effective. Fly-half Derek Lewis sparked off several movements which gave winger David Dyer ample opportunity to show his pace. Centres Colin Davies and Percy Jones always looked sharp both in attack and defence, while full-back Aubrey Davies gave a faultless display.


Ammanford, who have only managed one win in seven games, were lethargic and typical of a side going through a bad period. There were too many rough edges both up front and behind the scrum. Passes went astray, vital tackles were missed and their play was unimaginative and dull. The only players who impressed were hooker P. Thomas and locks Palmer and Williams.

Palmer and Williams managed to break the Quins’ stranglehold in the lines-out while Thomas gained a few strikes against the head from the inexperienced Davies. Colin Davies got the match off to a fine start when he banged over a penalty from the Ammanford ten-yard line after a line-out infringement in the third minute. Six minutes later, wing David Dyer ran 25 yards crashing through several tackles before going over in the corner.

After relentless pressure, the Quins went further ahead when flanker Dai Thomas pounced on a loose ball after scrum-half Peter Evans had caught Tony Rees in possession from a five yard scrum. Colin Davies made no mistake with the conversion. The Quins hammered away at the Ammanford line for long periods and only desperate tackles and hurried touch kicks kept them out.

But in the 29th minute, No. 8 Roger Walters, who had an outstanding game, put them 14 points up with an opportunist try which came when Ammanford full-back Anthony was caught in possession after a kick ahead by Peter Evans. Just before half-time, David Dyer ran in for his second try when the ball was sprayed along the line following a scrum close in. Davies sent the ball sailing between the posts to put the Quins 19 points ahead.

Despite holding the whip hand for long periods in the second session, the Quins only came good in the opening stages when Roger Walters scored wide out after dribbling through. Earlier, wing Spencer Jones was unfortunate not to score what would have been a magnificent try. Gathering a clearance kick in his own half, he made ground before punting high towards the Ammanford line. He galloped through to meet the ball, but edged it forward with the line at his mercy.