1888/89 Season

CARMARTHEN WANDERERS RFC

SEASON 1888/89

1888/89 Season

 

Carmarthen Journal 2nd December 1927 “By Gone Days”
 
“The above is a reproduction of a photograph of the Carmarthen Wanderers team in the first year of the club’s history – season 1888-89.* The team, although defeated on several occasions, had a first-class reputation and were captained by Ned Hughes, who can be seen in the photograph holding the ball. This side were really the originators of the present Carmarthen Harlequins. Their grounds  were at Morgan’s Arms field and the Railway Tavern field. This latter is now Carmarthen Park, entrance at that time being at the foot of Magazine Row, opposite The Porch. Included in this side are no less than seven local lads connected with the printing trade”

Back Row: EVAN  JONES (Waterloo Tce.), DAVID  PHILLIPS (Painter, Lammas Street), GWILYM  DAVIES (Abergwili, formerly of the Milford Arms), NED  HUGHES (Captain)  ( London, formerly Carmarthen Journal Office), JOHN  REES (Oxford, formerly with C’then Weekly Reporter),
G. W. WILLIAMSON (Son of the late Sgt Major W’son & of C’then Journal), KING  MORGAN, (Barn Road), JOSEPH  SHORT (HMS Prison, Swansea, formerly C’then Journal Office) 

Middle Row: ESAU  EDWARDS (Longacre Road), DAVID  DAVIES (Longacre Road), DICK  HUGHES (Llandeilo, late of the “Welshman” Office), HARRY  LOHR (Mansel Street), WILLIE THOMAS (Francis Tce, formerly of the “Weekly Reporter)

 

In Front: JOHN LEWIS  (82, St Catherine St., formerly of the “Welshman Office), JOHN  REES (Weaver, Waterloo Tce.), A. J. PRICE (Son of the late Master of the Poor Law Inst’n) 

Supplied by Llyfrgell Genedlaethol Cymru / The National Library of Wales

 

*That is an inaccurate statement. The club was formed in 1874/75

Latest News

Bingo (280x250)