Match Report - Carmarthen Quins RFC v Swansea RFC

By Steve Jenkins | 09/01/2018

Quins  24    Swansea  23


Despite making eight changes from the Llandovery match, the Quins carry on their home games record with another win.

Having beaten Swansea twice this season, the home support fully expected another success, but it was only after a nail biting last few minutes that the victory was secured.

The opening set piece saw the Quins eight push the visitors back 15 yards only for the referee to wave play on, but this pressure was to be rewarded when minutes later Steffan Marshall was on target with a 35 yard penalty. Play was kept in the Swansea 22 and the visitors defence was at full stretch, but they failed to hold the Quins set piece and this left the referee with no option but to award a penalty try to take the Quins into double figures.


From the restart, the Swansea attack, after a dangerous raid into the Quins 22 resulted in centre Rhys Williams break away to score a good try, James Davies converted. The Quins backs were revelling in the possession won by their forwards and when Haydn Pugh took a clean line out the ball was moved into midfield and a well timed inside pass from Elis Lloyd gave Josh Batcup the space to break clear and cross near the posts. Steff Marshall added the points.


The visitors line out was working well and this gave their backs good ball and the Quins defence was tested. After a  series of strange set piece decisions Swansea pulled three points back after a penalty by James Davies and  after 30 mins and could have reduced the margin even further but Davies was clearly in an offside position when a try was on.


The sides changed ends with the Quins in a slender 7 point lead which was reduced after just three mins when Davies was on target with his second penalty. The Quins were guilty of switching off which gave the visitors  another penalty which Davies duly converted. The Swansea side were playing some attractive rugby and deft use of the boot put them in the Quins half, causing some problems for the home side. After 53 minutes Davies slotted his third penalty to reduce the deficit to just a single point which seemed to worry the Quins outfit and when a neat chip over the Quins cover was gathered by A. Claypole his power took him over under the posts for Davies to convert and give the Swansea side a six point lead, with just minutes remaining.


It was left to the Quins pack to snap into action  and their powerful drive took play up to the Swansea line and from this pressure they were awarded a penalty, they opted for a scrum and they came into their own with a pressure set piece drive which again gave the referee no option other than award a penalty try and regain the lead,


In the final minutes, the Quins were camped on the Swansea line  and only desperate defence prevented the bonus point try,  and when the ball was scrambled into touch the final whistle went.


This victory sees the Quins in 5th place. The back of the match award went to Josh Batcup and the Forward prise went to Richard Bloomfield

Latest News

Scarlets Updates