Quins Come out on Top

By Steve Jenkins | 03/12/2017

In this top of the Table clash, it was the Quins who showed the greater resolve to win with a score line that flatters the North Walians.

With 8 changes from the Bridgend game, this young Quins outfit were in control for most of the match and fully deserved their victory, as their set piece and Line out were masters throughout, and their defence complimented a competent display.

The opening scrum saw the Quins eight set the pattern for the evening and their surge gained a penalty. This was followed two minutes later when another set piece surge was rewarded with a penalty which was converted by Aled Thomas to open the scoring. True to their game plan the North Walians kicked for territory when a shot at Goal was on.

Their attempts to run and move the ball was snuffed out by determined and powerful tackling which led to the Quins taking play into the visitors 22 for long periods and after 14 minutes Aled Thomas slotted over his second penalty to double the Quins score. More open play followed by both sides and kept their support on their toes. Mid way through the half the Quins gained ground up to the visitors 22, gained possession for Ifan Beynon-Thomas to pick up and his clever dummy fooled the defence to go over for a brilliant try. The conversion was narrowly missed.

The visitors were full of attacking ideas, but all their threats were confidently dealt with by outstanding defensive play by the Quins. More line out control kept play in the visitors 22 and their defence was kept fully stretched and they were forced to use the boot of Dion Jones to open their scoring    from 40 yards after 34 minutes. The remaining time in the first half were kept near the Gogs’ line and it was only the impatient play by the Quins that prevented another score.

The visitors began the second half by taking play up to the Quins 22, only to see Javan Sebastian regain the ball and start a counter attack that took play into the visitors 22. Sustained pressure gave Ifan Beynon-Thomas the chance to slice through and his delicate chip saw his half back partner Steffan Marshall pounce and touch down and Aled Thomas took the score to 18 with the conversion after 51 minutes. 

Attacks and counter attacks kept the spectators warm on this very cold  evening and with catch up rugby their only chance the Visitors set about their task and from a Quins mistake near the visitors line, a quick counter attack was started and resulted in Dion Jones crossing wide out after a length of the field move. Jacob Botica added the conversion but his side were still two scorers adrift. 

Both sides were bent on attack and this meant that mistakes were going to be made, and from a missed kick to touch from a Quins penalty, the visitors were quick to counter which led to Tom Hughes   going over wide out. Botica added the conversion to bring his side to within a point of the Quins lead.

The Quins were not going to throw this well earned lead away and their pack regained control to take play deep into the Gogs 22 and from this pressure the referee had no alternative but to award a penalty try for the seven points and a two score lead. With just 5 minutes remaining of the 80 the game  appeared to be won but with the match into its 10th minute of injury time Afon Bagshot crossed wide out and the missed conversion was the last kick of the game and signalled a well deserved Quins victory. 

This win keeps the Quins in Second place in the Premier and gives plenty of confidence for the remainder the season. The next match will be at Llandovery on Dec 23rd  A supporters Bus will be laid on if the numbers are sufficient  so give your names to the Steward

Back of the match was Ifan  Beynon-Thomas  and the forward was Gethin Robinson

Latest News

Sunday Lunch