Rygbi Gogledd Cymru 1404
2017/2018 Principality Premiership
RGC 1404 26 v 13 Quins
30 September 2017 - Parc Erias, Colwyn Bay
Carmarthen Quins

Match Report

Match Report

It was an early start for the MightyQuins heading north for Game 6 of the Principality Premiership. It was a hesitant start by both teams looking to impose themselves on each other. 

RGC opened the score with an early penalty from Dion Jones, before fly-half DanJones did the same making it 3-3.

It was then controlled for 20 minutes by us as we camped in the RGC half and looked to find that gap in the Gogs defence. The game was paused for a period due to an injury to Alex Taylor which didn’t help the flow of the match.

RGC then lost the ball and as a result the RGC defence was stretched across the field and  winger Dale Ford kicked ahead from halfway he sprinted past the RGC backs to collect the ball and dab down for the try. Dan Jones converted the extras to make it 3-10.

A missed a penalty opportunity followed but minutes later Dan Jones converted another penalty to make it a 10 point lead 3-

It was the RGC pack who made progress from a line-out pwith a 30 yard drive that didn’t stop moving and it rumbled all the way to the line before being held up. It was a statement of intent against a strong Quins set piece and resulted in a penalty that was kicked by Dion Jones. 6-13

RGC first try came from a scrum, which Quins dominated all afternoon and RGC took control of the ball from a Quins drive and went downfield before setting up Rhys Williams to go over in the corner. Dion Jones missed the conversion 11-13.

With only a few minutes left on the clock before half time RGC counters from deep and a few missed tackles let RGC in for another try by Tain Loots on the stroke of half time. The  conversion was missed by Dion Jones and RGC went in at half time leading 16-13.

The second half started similarly to the end of the first half with RGC keeping hold of the ball and narrowing up the Quins defence for Harri Evans to go over in the corner. Again ex Quins Dion Jones converting the try. Quins in the second half held on to the ball in attack but were unable to break down the the resilient RGC defence. Dion Jones added another penalty to close the match out with RGC running out victors 26-16.


The Mighty Quins return to action next Saturday 7th October @ Carmarthen Park v Llandovery RFC - Kick Off 2:30pm




Official : Wayne Davies (Wales)

RGC 1404 Quins