Carmarthen Quins
2014/2015 Principality Premiership
Quins 22 v 35 Bedwas
07 February 2015 - The Park, Carmarthen

Match Report

Quins v Bedwas

Carmarthen Quins 22 Bedwas 35


In six days a side can go from the top of the pile to the bottom.

The Llanelli display was well and truly cancelled out by this inept effort. Reasons ?

Seven changes to the team and nine players not available for selection. A recipe for disaster in the Premiership

Bedwas turned up to play, The Quins, after a promising start to the contest, fell away badly.

The Club have always strived to produce players and encourage them to play at the level they are able and because of this, nine players were missing with the Scarlets, Wales 7’s and the Wales Under 20. One could argue the Quins have become victims of their own success however the abstractions will inevitably interfere with the Clubs chances of reaching the League play off stage.

They remain in third place eleven points clear of 5th placed Club, but Cardiff have three games in hand, so with Cardiff the next game for the Quins, the season’s success could hinge on this fixture.

Carmarthen got off to the perfect start, with Dion Jones and captain Ian Jones crossing for good tries and a Craig Evans conversion put the home team 12 points up after the opening five minutes, but this is when the magic ended. Bedwas to their credit did not throw the towel in and soon turned things around.

Richard Powell put over two penalties and his side were back in the game. On the half hour it was Harley Thompson who from his full back position got on the score sheet when he came into the line to score a well taken try. Powell converted to put the visitors ahead. Bedwas continued to play the brand of play that the Quins had been blessed with up to this game, and when Chris Banfield made a 60 meter run only to be halted inches short things looked promising. Alas this was not to be the case and near half time Richard Powell made a telling break and ran 50 metres to go in under the posts and his conversion took his match contribution up 15 points.

Ten minutes into the second period Craig Evans pulled three points back with a penalty, but a little later that man Powell hit the Quins with the killer blow with his side’s third try.

Mid way through the half a Quins attack gave Dion Jones the chance to round the Visitors defence to cross in the Vicarage corner and Craig Evans put over a touch line conversion to give the Quins support some hope.

With ten minutes remaining the bonus point try from centre Aaron Pinches and conversion from Powell gave Bedwas the League points. A disappointing result from the Quins perspective and with a visit to the Capital next on the list, the season’s outcome could be decided next Saturday.


Report by Alan Bowen

Attendance: 200

Official : Owain Griffiths (Wales)

Quins Bedwas