Carmarthen Quins
2013 Club Friendlies
Quins 50 v 31 Carmarthen Ath
10 August 2013 - The Park, Carmarthen
Carmarthen Athletic

Match Report

Match Report - Carmarthen Athletic

Carmarthern Quins  50    Carmarthen Athletic  31

Ideal playing conditions presented themselves in this pre season friendly.  Both outfits were keen to give their old and new players some match time and it proved a worthwhile exercise for both camps.  Spectators were gifted with some spectacular running and fine individual performances which promises well for both local clubs.

The encounter was played over three periods of 25 mins

The Quins were first to show the benefits of their pre season training with James Stephenson relishing in his role in the number ten shirt, his break took play up to the Red and Blacks line. From the resultant scrum, Huw Rees moved left and three passes gave lock Aiden Laxton the chance to power over for the opening score. Stephenson added to the points from the touchline.

From a line out on the visitors 22, Haydn Pugh took clean ball giving Huw Rees the chance to move left again, and more inter-passing saw Aiden Laxton on hand to cross for his second try which went unconverted.

Midway through the opening period, the Athletic made a break from their own 22 and quick accurate passing through five pairs of hands gave speedy wing Adam Davies the space to  cross for their first try. Lee Davies added to the points with a conversion.

In the 25th minute a Quins attack took play up to the Athletics line and the ever alert Laxton was on hand to power over for his third try, which went unconverted leaving the score at 17 - 7 at the first break.

Both sides made changes to their line up and Aaron Shakeshaft was able to power over for the Athletic in the first minute and Dave Evans pulled his side back to within 3 points with the conversion.

From a penalty, James Stephenson found a 50 metre touch kick. Pugh took the throw in and from his sides control, the ball reached Ian Jones who used his strength to cross near the posts, giving Stephenson an easy conversion 

The Quins set piece came up trumps from an Athletic put in, but the ball some how came out on the Red and Blacks side, for Lee Davies to attempt a break inside his 22, but he ran into the dynamic Ellis Lloyd who grabbed the ball from him to dash the 20 metres to score a remarkable try. Stephenson obliged with the kick.

More pressure from the Quins pack took play into the Athletics 22 and from a maul, it was Ellis Lloyd again on hand to power over for his second score. Howard Thomas made the conversion.

In the closing minute of the 2nd period the Athletic produced a pressure play giving Dion Augustus  the chance to cross for an unconverted try.

The Crowd were enjoying what was being served up, and it was Adam Davies who showed his pace to go over for his second try, which David Evans converted.

The speed of the Quins inside half, Connor Lloyd was displayed when he was on the end of a passing bout, to race over for the Quins seventh try.

The pace of the game was beginning to tell and some sloppy passing by both sides was seen. It was Ellis Lloyd who made a telling break to link up with Rhys Thomas who made  30 metres to score a well worked try, and he converted his score to take the Quins up to 50 points

The Athletic refused to lie down and powerful centre Viv Jenkins was last to score to give his side a more than respectable score.

Both Camps can be satisfied of what was on offer and the start of their League campaigns cannot come quickly enough.  Carmarthen Town can be proud of what lies ahead.

Next Saturday the Quins travel to London to take on Ealing who won their League last season, so a promising encounter is expected.

Reported by Alan Bowen.