2012/2013 SWALEC Cup
Blackwood 14 v 32 Quins
24 March 2013 - Glan-yr-Afon Park, Blackwood
Carmarthen Quins

Match Report

Blackwood v Carmarthen Quins

Blackwood 14 CarmarthenQuins 32

On a very cold and blustery afternoon, Blackwood was the scene of this Quarter Final tie.

What many thought could be a 'banana skin' outing, turned out to be a contest where the difference in their League placings stood out. Blackwood were unable to match the Quins in both tight and loose as well as strength and pace.

It was the third time the Clubs had met, all in the Welsh Cup. The previous two encounters had been tight affairs, this one was a one sided. The opening minutes showed that the result was never going to be in doubt, when Jack Maynard was on target with a penalty and Richard Wilkes was on hand to score after a neat pass from Rhodri Wells for Maynard to put the Quins into double figures with the conversion, after just ten minutes.

The home side realised early in the game that they were no match for the Quins pack and attempted to move the little ball they had. The Quins back row of Ellis Lloyd, Sion Bennett and Rory Gallagher stopped any threat from this quarter. From a Quins attack their kick ahead went straight to Marc Williams who caught the ball and was left with no one to beat in his 50 yard dash. Paul Emmanuelli converted.

This set back steadied the Quins approach and after 20 minutes a forward pass prevented a score, but from this pressure Rhodri Wells found Sion Bennett on his shoulder to go over for a try. The Quins kept up their good work and just on half time James Dixon was at the end of an overlap to score in the corner giving then a interval lead of 22- 7.

Early in the second half a forward surge took play to near the Blackwood line and Wells was able to feed Rheon James and his strength did the rest for him to score. Alex Pickersgill was causing all kinds of problems for the home defence, and only desperate tackling kept him out. Mid way through the half Connor Lloyd made a break from his own 22 only to be stopped yards from the line, from the resultant maul the ball was moved left through four pairs of hands for Haydn Pugh to dive over in the corner. All the Quins substitutes were now on the field and they performed competently to keep up the pressure

With game going into extra time, we were to witness a seldom used ploy when from a line out near the Quins line, all the Blackwood backs joined the ruck in an attempt to power over but the Quins defence held firm. This resulted in the Blackwood outside half putting in a long cross field kick and when two players went for the ball it was knocked sideways for Rhodri Usher to pick and score in the corner. Emmanuelli converted to give his side some respectability.

The final whistle went to put the Quins into the Semi Final.

Next Saturday they return to the League with a local derby against Llandovery at the Park.

Attendance: 200

Blackwood Quins