Carmarthen Quins
2012/2013 SWALEC Cup
Quins 23 v 21 Bedwas
16 February 2013 - The Park, Carmarthen

Match Report

Carmarthen Quins 23 Bedwas 21

Carmarthen Quins 23 Bedwas 21

The quote in last weeks Journal "Quins going in search of revenge in Cup Clash".

This well deserved win makes up for the bad luck the Team suffered in the two league matches with Bedwas.

The score flatters the Bedwas outfit as the Quins played all the rugby to the satisfaction of their supporters. Their successful run continues and in this form who knows, a second visit to the Millenium Stadium is definitely on.

The Park once again was in amazing condition even after all the rain the country has been subjected to.

Hooker Richard Wilkes was given the honour of leading the Quins out on his Birthday and his 100th Match in the Quins jersey.

On winning the toss the visitors elected to play with what breeze there was, and with Nigel Owens in charge, an open game was expected.

The Quins opened strongly and play was taken deep into the Visitors 22, and after five mins a miss directed kick ahead was gathered by M. Thomas and he started a counter attack that caught the Quins flat footed and good inter passing gave wing Rory Budina a clear run in for the opening score. Lewis Roblin added the conversion.

Gavin Evans and Haydn Pugh were able to gain valuable lineout possession for Rhodri Wells to use his backs to good effect, and after 14 mins all the pressure that the Quins pack had delivered was rewarded when they destroyed the Bedwas set piece to leave Owens no alternative but to award the Quins a penalty try and Jack Maynard levelled the score with the kick.

The Quins front row of Ian Jones Rob Evans and Richard Wilkes were prominent with their powerful runs and had the Bedwas defence at full stretch. They had a score disallowed for a foot in touch when Ellis Lloyd crossed wide out..

Again from a poor kick from the Quins, the Bedwas backs were able to counter and number eight Mattravers was on hand to make 20 meters to score for Roblin to convert

On the half hour a Maynard penalty sailed inches wide and a chance was missed.

The Quins kept up this pressure and with the interval looming quick and clever inter passing by the Quins gave

Rob Evans the chance to find a gap and race 30 meters to cross under the posts for a fine try.

Jack Maynard levelled once again with the conversion and the sides changed ends with the game still up for grabs

Ellis Lloyd was in tremendous form and covered every blade of grass and together with

the Bedwas backs were given very little room to attack and after having a penalty rebound of the upright

Mins later Jack Maynard was able to put the Quins ahead for the first time with a 40 metre penalty.

Bedwas were not out of it and after their backs had gained valuable ground it was Mattravers who was able to cross for his second try for Roblin to convert.

With the game going into its final quarter and the Quins fitness getting the better of things Jack Maynard brought the Quins to within a point of the Bedwas score with his second penalty. With mins ticking by the patience of the Home team gave Maynard the chance of restoring the Quins lead to which he duly obliged with 35 mtr penalty, leaving the home support an anxious final five minutes.

The Quins were able to win and secure the ball and correct decision making gave Bedwas no chance of getting the chance they needed, and when Nigel Owens ended the game the Quins were through to the Quarter finals.

Revenge was sweet and deserved and the Quins run continues.

Bedwas will have to wait another year to get to the final and remain the only side in the Premier League noit to reach a Swalec Final.

Next Friday evening the Quins take on Swansea in a league match with a 7.15 p.m.KO. This will be the forth meeting of the Clubs this season and the Quins will be all out to make it 4 wins out of 4 against the All Whites.

Once again the Club have 3 players in the Wales under 20 squad.


Written by Alan Bowen


Attendance: 300

Official : Nigel Owens (Wales)

Quins Bedwas