Carmarthen Quins
2012/2013 Principality Premiership
Quins 17 v 12 Llandovery
30 March 2013 - The Park, Carmarthen

Match Report

Carmarthen Quins v Llandovery

Camarthen Quins 17 Llandovery 12

The Park was graced with sunny but cold weather for this second meeting of the Scarlets "feeder" clubs. The Quins were winners at Llandovery during the Christmas encounter and were determined to make it the first "double" since the sides had been in the Premier Division.

Captain Ian Jones had to pull out hours before the match but the ever dependable Andrew Beaujean stepped in and anchored the scrum with equal effect. Rhodri Wells took over the captaincy but it was the visitors who had the first chance to get on the scoreboard, only to see James Garlands penalty hit the upright and stay out. Llandovery were always looking for space and their backs were soon in action but the Quins were just as effective in covering this threat. Dan Newton was able to drive the visitors back with good use of the touchline and after 19 minutes, a period of powerful pressure, gave Rob Evans the chance to crash over for the games first try. Dan Newton added the conversion.

Llandovery were looking dangerous with ball in hand and worried the Quins defence for long periods. From a lineout at the Vicarage Corner, Llandovery forwards were able to take and control a rolling maul for Sean Miles to get over. James Garland added the extra points from the touchline. End to end play followed and the days chill was taken away with exciting play by both sides. The visitors missed a chance to take the lead with a missed penaly and after a move from deep in their own half, Darren Daniel, made a last ditch tackle and saved a certain try. Minutes later after another passing bout from their own line, Llandovery took play up to the Quins line only to see the Quins cover defence win the day. The sides changed ends with the honours even, giving the Quins the advantage of the stiff breeze for the second half.

The use of this wind was to be a telling factor and when play was taken into the visitors 22, Llandovery tried to run the ball, only to see them fumble it in midfield. The alert Quins centre, Alex Pickersgill, was quick to pick up and dashed over for a fine try. Dan Newton slotted the conversion. Enterprising play by Llandovery kept the Quins defence at full stretch and from a period of dangerous pressure, Luke Lewis was able to squeeze over in the corner. Garlands kick sailed wide and the home side kept the lead.

Haydn Pugh and Carwyn Jones were controlling the lineout and the Quins pack were able to continue their dominant set piece and midway through the half Dan Newton was on target with a 40 metre penalty. The visitors were forced to play catch up rugby, and once again the Quins defence held firm. Close to full time the games most important decision was made when Dan Newton elected to take a penalty from just inside his own half. Eating into the valuable remaining time, his kick fell short and the game was won.

Both sides had reasons to question some of the referees handling of the game, indicating the much needed review of the games laws.

It was confirmed that the Quins will meet Pontypridd in the semi-final of the SWALEC CUP in two weeks time at a venue to be decided.

Attendance: 320

Official : Chris Williams (Wales)

Quins Llandovery